Articles & Presentations
Below is a sampling of some of our patent-related articles and presentations (unless otherwise noted, all articles and presentations were authored by Robert A. Matthews Jr.)
Non-Practicing Entities and Patent-Holding Companies
- Challenges for Non-Practicing Entities, presented at West’s “Patent Law Lunch & Learn,” Nov. 12, 2009, at the 21 Club, New York, N.Y.
- Legal Nuances When a Patent Holding Company Seeks to Enforce a U.S. Patent, 49 IDEA: The Intellectual Property Law Review 549 (Fall 2009).
- The Restricted Scope of Patent Infringement Remedies Available to “Non-Practicing” Patent Owners, IP Litigator, July 2009
- “eBay’s Impact on Patent Holding Companies” presented at the May 29, 2009, Intellectual Property Owner’s Association conference “Realities & Myths in Patent Litigation Today – Non-Practicing Patent Owners and Other Issues”
- “Legal Nuances When a Patent-Holding Company Seeks to Enforce a US Patent” presented on January 29, 2009, at the AIPLA Midwinter Meeting
- A Potential Hidden Cost of a Patent-Holding Company: The Loss of Lost-Profit Damages, 32 AIPLA Q.J. 503 (Fall 2004) (prepublished version cited in Schreiber Foods, Inc. v. Beatrice Cheese, Inc., 305 F. Supp. 2d 939 (E.D. Wis. 2004))
- Patent-Holding Companies Hold Risks, 25 NAT’L LAW JOURNAL S7, June 16, 2003 (quoted in Schreiber Foods, Inc. v. Beatrice Cheese, Inc., 305 F. Supp. 2d 939 (E.D. Wis. 2004))
Patent False Marking
- When Multiple Plaintiffs/Relators Sue for the Same Act of Patent False Marking, 2010 Patently-O Patent L.J. 95 (July 2010).
- Interviewed on Bilski v. Kappos for The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, “Westlaw Column – Business Method Patents,” Aug. 2, 2010.
- Brief of Amicus Curiae Medistem Inc. in Support of the Petition for a Writ of Certiorari before the Supreme Court of the United States in In re Bilski, No. 08-964 (Feb. 27, 2009)
- “KSR’s Impact in the Courts – Expect the Need to Show the Unexpected” presented at the October 17, 2007, AIPLA Annual Meeting (Litigation Committee Meeting)
- Brief of Amicus Curiae Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America in Support of Respondents before the Supreme Court of the United States in KSR Int’l Co. v. Teleflex Inc., No. 04-1350, 2006 WL 2967758 (Oct. 16, 2006)
- Robert A. Matthews, Jr. and Louis M. Troilo, Schering v. Geneva – Just How Far Can Inherent Anticipation Extend?, 20 SANTA CLARA COMP. & HIGH TECH. L. J. 779 (2004)
Patent Infringement and Willful Infringement
- “Willful Infringement Under In re Seagate” presented at the March 25, 2008, ALM Annual IP Counsel Forum
- A Sea of Unanswered Questions Spawned in the Wake of In Re Seagate, West Key Author White Paper (2007)
- Festo’s Impact on Litigating Infringement Claims and Prosecuting Patent Applications in the U.S., Patent World, (Part I Aug 2002) (Part 2 Sept. 2002)
Patent-Related Antitrust Claims
- A Primer on US antitrust claims against patentees under Walker Process, 2 J. OF INTEL. PROP. LAW & PRAC., 657 (Oct. 2007) Oxford Journals
- Examining the FTC’s 2003 Proposed Reforms to U.S. Patent Law in View of the Present Legal Landscape, 9 VA.J. OF LAW & TECH. No. 11 (Fall 2004) (also presented to the AIPLA Antitrust Committee at the AIPLA Mid-Winter meeting in Jan. 2004, in La Jolla, CA)